CloudFreIT involves the conception, development, and offer of modular, generic and flexible cloud-based discrete event simulation models of typical freight transport intermodal terminals.
- Develop simulation models of freight intermodal terminals providing with quick, useful and reliable results for their analysis and design
- Improve and enlarge the commercial services offered by Proyfe to its current and new expected clients (CloudFreIT will allow Proyfe to start a new line of consultancy services)
- Improve Proyfe’s corporate image and technical competence for public and private tender processes, among others
Proyfe and Simul8 will develop cloud-based discrete event simulation models of typical freight transport intermodal terminals for simulation analysis supporting and enhancing their planning, design, and operation.
By the end of March 2015, Proyfe and SIMUL8 will have deployed in the cloud a simulation model representative of the Phase I Exploitation Plan of the Ferrol Container Terminal (FCT) outer port. This first model will include animation and will allow capacity analysis of the expected initial infrastructural and operational set up for the FCT by simulating the unloading of SuperPanamax vessels through the use of:
- A number of ship-to-shore cranes operating
- A variable number of platforms (approx. 8) using roadways around and between aisles and operator areas
- A variable number of RTGs (approx. 3) using up to three lanes of three operators (plus “reefers”: refrigerated containers)
Results reported by this simulation model will include total time to unload a specific number of TEUs, and utilization of platforms and cranes.
Between March and September 2015, the first model will be upgraded to a more generic model that could be used at any Spanish medium-sized port terminal (within certain parameters) after simple reconfiguration by those port operators themselves. Upgrading this product to a more generic tool will at least require the next three steps:
- Introducing that first version of the CloudFreIT tool to FCT. The simulation model will be used to determine unload times of SPM (Super Post Panamax) vessels and enhanced if it does not meet its needs. We expect this will lead to further questions from FCT. It is also expected that these discussions will let us know what kind of problems our clients really want to solve.
- Introducing that first version of the CloudFreIT tool to a second port. Adjustments will be made to meet the needs of that port.
- Introducing an upgraded (more generic) version of the first simulation model to a third port.
The experience gained from all these implementations will be used to generalize the tool in a way that allows end-user modification within a wide range of port designs.
The industrial sectors covered by this demonstrator are the following:
-Freight transport sector
-Intermodal terminal operation sector
PROYFE S.L., SIMUL 8 CORPORATION.
Universities: Universidad de Zaragoza, Brunel University
PROYFE S.L.: David del Río, MSc Industrial Engineer, PMP | Innovation Area Manager